Reporting to: Head of Food
Role Type: Fulltime
Hours: Weekday and Weekend
Remuneration: €13 an hour
Location: GROW HQ, Waterford
Opened in October 2016, GROW HQ has quickly established itself as one of Waterford’s favourite cafes, with a focus on hyper-authentic, seasonal food, cooked with passion by our kitchen team. From Best Newcomer in 2017 to the Georgina Campbell Café of the Year 2020, we have our fair share of national awards and accolades. At this exciting stage in our development, we are looking for experienced kitchen and waitstaff to join our team.
Chef de Partie: Key Responsibilities
- Support the Head Chef/Sous Chef in running the GROW HQ kitchen
- Supervise service ensuring presentation of food is compliant with restaurant standards
- Assist the Head Chef/Sous Chef in menu compilation and possess an in-depth knowledge of the full menu
- Carrying out basic cleaning tasks as efficiently and quickly as possible.
- Collecting and wash up of pots and pans when required
- Cleaning crockery and cutlery and ensuring that food prep areas are kept clean and ready when required
- Dealing with deliveries of equipment and food
- Ensuring the storeroom remains well organised
- Making sure work areas, floors and walls are clean and sanitised
- Ensure consistency of produce throughout the kitchen.
- Support the Head Chef/Sous Chef to ensure targets are met with staff and food costs
- Compliance with food labelling and temperature controls
- Assist head chef with stock rotation, stock control and HACCP
- Assist the head chef in reduction of food waste and efficiencies in the kitchen
Qualifications, Experience, & Competencies
We are looking for an experienced and qualified individual who shares GIY’s culture, vision and values. Our ideal candidate would have the following qualifications and experience:
- Minimum of 1 year experience in a similar role
- Experience in a fast-moving Food & Beverage business
- A proven passion for hyper-local, seasonal food and for preserving and foraging
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work with a team in a fast-paced environment
- Team player who values integrity and respect
- Excellent communication skills
- A passion for healthy, seasonal, local and home-grown food and understands how food-growing can change the way we think about food, nutrition and health
More About GROW HQ AND GIY
GROW HQ is proud to be the Irish hub for Chef’s Manifesto: and advocacy hub building a community of chef’s around the world, equipped with the skills to create a better food system for all. In GROW HQ there are no barriers between where food is grown, cooked, and eaten. Our award-winning café serves the most nutritious, delicious, seasonal food and we put veg centre stage, while also showcasing the finest free-range, local meat, poultry, fish and cheese.
GROW HQ includes a 65 seat café, 40 seat terrace, food truck, shop, grow school, cookery school, food garden and is the home base for GIY. Founded in Waterford in 2009, GIY is an award-winning social enterprise that supports people around the world to live happier, healthier and more sustainable lives by growing some of their own food.
We support people to develop ‘food empathy’ – a deeper connection with food and respect for the people and planet that put it on our tables. Our mission is to inspire and enable a global movement of food growers whose collective actions will help to create a more fair, resilient and sustainable food system. We aim to inspire 100 million people to grow some of their own food for the UN’s Decade of Action for Climate Change by 2030.
To apply please email [email protected] with your CV and a cover letter explaining your fit with the criteria outlined above. All applications will be treated in strictest confidence.