Reporting to: Café Manager
Role Type: Part Time Permanent (after probation period of 9 months).
Hours: 20 per week (weekday and weekend)
Renumeration: €11 an hour
Having opened in October 2016, GROW HQ has quickly established itself as one of Waterford’s favourite cafes, with a focus on hyper-authentic, seasonal food, cooked with passion by our kitchen team. At this exciting stage in our development, we are looking for experienced part- time waitstaff to join our team. It includes a 65 seat café, 40 seat terrace, food truck, shop, grow school, cookery school and food garden.
GIY is a social enterprise founded in Waterford in 2009. Our mission is to help create a healthier, happier and more sustainable world by inspiring and supporting people to grow food at home, school, work and in the community. In 2020, GIY supported over half a million people to grow their own food for the first time in over 8,000 community food projects across Ireland and the UK.
- Delivers excellent customer service through communication, positive attitude, and connecting with customers. Is knowledgeable about the GIY ethos, menu and seasonal specials
- Stays informed about our changing food offering
- Cooperate and communicate with all cafe and kitchen staff
- Up-sell additional products when appropriate (e.g. wine, desserts, additional drinks)
- Maintains workplace cleanliness throughout shift. Follows all health and safety standards.
- Contributes to a positive GROW HQ atmosphere by maintaining calm during periods of high stress and communicating any potential problems to the manager on duty. Acts in accordance with GIY values and culture and strives to promote these values within the team and to customers.
- Maintains proper attendance, punctuality and uniform standards.
- Follows GROW HQ operating and cash handling procedures.
- Assists the Café Manager with stock rotation & stock control
- Deal with complaints or problems with a positive attitude
- Acts in accordance with fire, health and safety regulations and follows the correct procedures when the situation arises.
- Attend briefings and meetings with GIY team and management as required.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for an experienced and qualified individual who shares GIY’s culture, vision and values. Our ideal candidate would have the following qualifications and experience:
- Minimum of 6 months experience in café or restaurant setting
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Very strong, customer-facing experience and strong communications skills
- Natural ability to build rapport with customers
- Ideally, a knowledge of and interest in food and/or food-growing
Competencies and Personal Skills
- A positive, energetic, resourceful, self-motivated person who has the maturity, confidence and enthusiasm to succeed in a busy environment and as part of a dynamic team
- Has a passion for healthy, seasonal, local and home-grown food and understands how food-growing can change the way we think about food, nutrition and health
- Team player who values integrity and respect
- Excellent communication skills
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 21st January with your CV and a cover letter explaining your fit with the criteria outlined above. All applications will be treated in strictest confidence.