Potato, Kale And Roast Garlic Soup By JB Dubois
1 kg homegrown potatoes
1 whole head of garlic
300g green Curly Kale or Cavolo Nero Kale
1 small onion
1 small pinch ground nutmeg
A drizzle of olive oil
Sea salt to season
5 Steps to a delicious healthy soup
- Roast the whole head of garlic, skin on, covered with a drizzle of olive oil in the oven at 120℃ for 30/45 min until the garlic softens. Let it cool before cutting the bottom off and squeezing out the roast garlic pulp.
- Cook the curly kale in a large pot of salted boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes. Strain the kale and cool it straight away in ice water.
This process is called ‘blanching’ and will produce a vibrant green colour in your soup. Squeeze the cooked leaves and chop them roughly.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion, leek and potatoes and gently cook them, stirring frequently, with the butter, nutmeg and a pinch of salt on a low heat in a large pot for 5 minutes. Cover with 1.5 litres of cold water and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until all the vegetables are cooked through.
- Add the blanched kale and the garlic pulp and blend.
- Season to taste before serving