Confit Garlic Yeast Bread by JB Dubois
You can watch JB make this recipe from the HQ Homemade series.
1 large whole garlic bulb
300 ml olive oil
500g strong baker’s flour
1 small tea spoon of sea salt
25g of fresh yeast (or 7g of dry instant yeast)
300 ml warm water
10 Steps to the best garlic bread in the world
For the roast garlic
- Place the whole garlic bulb, with skin on, in a small oven proof dish, cover with the olive oil and bake for 1.5 hours at 110˚c.
- Let cool the garlic in the oil.
- Take the garlic out of the oil and squeeze the soft confit garlic pulp out of the skin.
For the bread
- In a large mixing bowl mix the flour with the salt.
- In a smaller mixing bowl whisk the yeast in the warm water
- Knead the water into the flour for 7 to 10 minutes until the dough is firm and elastic.
- Put the dough in a clean mixing bowl and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place for the first prove. The dough should double size.
- Knead back down the dough and incorporate the garlic pulp and add a little more strong flour if needed. Work the dough for a further 5 minutes.
- Shape the bread rolls (100g each), place them on a parchment paper on a roasting tray and leave them in a warm place for the second proof. When the bread rolls doubled size, bake for 17 minutes at 190˚C.
- Let the bread rolls cooling slightly before serving.