Boulangere Potatoes BY JB Dubois
You can watch JB make this recipe from the HQ Homemade series.
1.5kg of waxy potatoes like Rooster, Orla, Pink Fir Apple
100g diced smoked streaky bacon
1 sliced medium white onion
1 crushed garlic clove
0.5L chicken stock
75g butter plus a little more for greasing the gratin dish
1/2 bay leaf
1 drizzle of rapeseed oil
sea salt & black pepper to taste
10 Steps to a delicious potato dish
- Fry off the diced bacon, in a saucepan, on a high heat with a drizzle of rapeseed oil until golden brown.
- Add the sliced onion and crushed garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes until the onions soften slightly.
- Add a good pinch of salt and pepper, the butter, bay leaf and chicken stock. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Grease the gratin dish with the remaining butter.
- Wash, peel and slice the potatoes using a mandolin or a food processor. Do not keep or wash the sliced potatoes in water as this will wash out the starch.
- Place half the sliced potatoes in the dish and use a slotted spoon to scoop the bacon and onion out of the stock and cover the bottom layer of potatoes.
- Add in the remaining potatoes, pressing them down into the dish slightly.
- Pour the warm chicken stock over the potatoes.
- Cover with tin foil and bake in a preheated oven at 160℃ for 1 hour.
- Take the foil off and bake for a further 30 minutes. Check with a knife if the potatoes are cooked through before serving