Leeks and cheese – what’s not to love. Try making this Lotte Duncan recipe with blue cheese or swapping out the leeks for some other seasonal veg (parsnips etc).
• 3lb (1kg 350g) small leeks, trimmed and washed and cut in half
• salt and pepper
• 2oz (50g) butter
• 3oz (50g) plain flour
• ¾ pint (425ml) milk
• 6oz (175g) cheddar cheese, grated
• 1oz (25g) parmesan, or similar vegetarian hard cheese, grated
• 1 tbsp (15g) wholegrain mustard
• 1 tbsp (15g) Dijon mustard
• 1 tsp (5g) English mustard
For the topping
• 2 tbsp fresh white breadcrumbs
• 1oz (25g) grated cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6/180C fan oven. Place the leeks in a pan of cold salted water, bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes until just tender. Drain and put under cold water immediately to refresh and stop the cooking process. Place the butter, flour and milk in a saucepan and slowly bring up to the boil and whisk all the time. Once it is up to the boil, reduce the heat and let it just simmer for 2 minutes. Add the grated cheddar and parmesan and then the mustards. Season with salt and pepper. Put your leeks into a shallow serving dish and pour over the sauce. Mix the breadcrumbs and the cheese together and scatter over the top of the leeks. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.