It’s January so let’s be honest, we need lots of detoxifying and frugal soups. This one is delicious and if you’re lucky, you may still have all the ingredients in your larder or garden to make it entirely homegrown.
• 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 4 large carrots, peeled and cubed
• 1 medium squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
• black pepper, freshly ground
• 850 ml chicken or veg stock
• 2-3 sprigs thyme
• Handful of fresh parsley
Sweat the onion and garlic in the olive oil over a medium heat in a large saucepan for about 5-7 minutes. Add the carrots and butternut squash to the pan. Season, then cover with a lid and cook for another 10 minutes on a low heat until the vegetables start to soften. Pour in the stock, add the herbs and bring to the boil. Now turn down the heat a little, and simmer for about 30 minutes. Finally, use a hand blender or liquidizer to purée the soup. Reheat and serve.