Recipe of the Week – Green Tomato Chutney
This recipe comes from the Ballymaloe Cookery School cookbook. I had to cook this for much longer than 45 minutes to get it to reduce by half and get it nice and rich. Makes 12 x 200ml (7fl oz) jars
• 1kg (2 1⁄4lb) cooking apples, peeled and diced
• 450g (1lb) onions, chopped
• 1kg (2 1⁄4lb) green tomatoes, chopped (no need to peel)
• 350g (12oz) white sugar
• 350g (12oz) Demerara sugar
• 450g (1lb) sultanas
• 2 teaspoons ground ginger
• 2 teaspoons allspice
• 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
• 2 garlic cloves, coarsely crushed
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 900ml (1 1⁄2 pints) white wine vinegar
Put the apples and onions into a wide, stainless-steel saucepan and add the remaining ingredients. Stir well, bring to the boil and simmer gently, uncovered, for about 45 minutes or until reduced by more than half. Stir regularly, particularly toward the end of cooking. Pot into sterilised jars and cover immediately with non-reactive lids. Store in a dark, airy place and leave to mellow for at least two weeks before using.
© GIY Ireland 2018 – all rights reserved.